A 1-day workshop to introduce Mastery to teachers which covers:
- What do we mean by ‘Mastery’? What it is and what it isn’t.
- How could lessons from the Far East possibly help us in the UK?
- Changing our mind-sets about learners and mathematics learning.
- How do we design learning for deeper understanding?
- Understanding through conceptual and procedural variation.
- Using a range of manipulatives and visual images effectively for all learners, not the few.
- Fluency through intelligently-varied practice.
- Critical issues in curriculum and lesson design for mastery in children’s learning.
- Designing a sequence of learning which focuses upon deeper learning in incremental steps.
- Developing the school’s mathematics teaching capacity.
- Practical considerations for implementation across the school
The workshop is highly interactive with many practical hands-on examples to illustrate and explore Mastery in action.
The material could be run in two separate half-day sessions, or as a single half-day introduction with fewer topics.